Saturday 19 April 2008

Sweden travel report - Day 1

As I previously stated I visited my old school mate Jenny Roch in Stockholm and I thought I would share some of my experiences with you. I took a plane (Ryanair) from Frankfurt-Hahn and landed safely at Skavsta airport around noon. After an 80 minute bus drive I arrived in the capital and had the afternoon to myself (my friend was still working until 5 that day). I remembered the picturesque Old Town from my first trip to Stockholm (about 8 years ago) and so I decided to walk its beautiful streets and check out the different shops. I had a small bite at a tiny bistro and then started my walk, listening to The Cure.


The streets of the Old Town are narrow and filled with shops of all varieties, the best of them being a science fiction bookstore that had everything to satisfy the true nerd (Books, Dvds, RPGs and even Graphic Novels). After having walked the main streets up and down a few times I visited the Nobel Museum which also hosted the exhibition design4science (images of the world of molecular biology). At the museum, you can find all the information on the Nobel Prize, its founder and the laureates. After the brief museum visit I walked around some more and stumbled on the Royal Palace situated in the Old Town. It reminded me a bit of Buckingham Palace with all the guards standing outside.
Around 17:30, I met up with Jenny and we walked to her apartment, where I got to meet her roommate Polo. We had a typical Swedish diner (mashed potatoes, vegetables and meatballs with lingonberry jam) and I simply dropped into bed. More about my trip to Sweden later…

(To see all the pictures of my trip, click on the title of this post)

No comments: